Top 6 – May 2007
Published May 1, 2007
Succeeding as an Entrepreneur
- Just get on with it.
- Hope, Vision, Action, Perseverance, and Luck, are, in that order, the route to long-term success in sales, marketing, and entrepreneurship..
- Entrepreneurship often requires touching the boundaries, but that isn’t the same as crossing them. Entrepreneurs are often forced to address questionable issues.
- If you think that your job is too good to give up for an entrepreneurial pursuit, then you probably lack the attitude for risk taking required to succeed.
- If you think that your poor employment history indicates that you can’t succeed as an entrepreneur, you probably lack the optimism required to succeed.
- Want to create the next new big market? Find and serve an ill-served job-to-be-done segment.
About The Author
Tim J. Smith, PhD, is the founder and CEO of Wiglaf Pricing, an Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Economics at DePaul University, and the author of Pricing Done Right (Wiley 2016) and Pricing Strategy (Cengage 2012). At Wiglaf Pricing, Tim leads client engagements. Smith’s popular business book, Pricing Done Right: The Pricing Framework Proven Successful by the World’s Most Profitable Companies, was noted by Dennis Stone, CEO of Overhead Door Corp, as "Essential reading… While many books cover the concepts of pricing, Pricing Done Right goes the additional step of applying the concepts in the real world." Tim’s textbook, Pricing Strategy: Setting Price Levels, Managing Price Discounts, & Establishing Price Structures, has been described by independent reviewers as “the most comprehensive pricing strategy book” on the market. As well as serving as the Academic Advisor to the Professional Pricing Society’s Certified Pricing Professional program, Tim is a member of the American Marketing Association and American Physical Society. He holds a BS in Physics and Chemistry from Southern Methodist University, a BA in Mathematics from Southern Methodist University, a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Chicago, and an MBA with high honors in Strategy and Marketing from the University of Chicago GSB.