Top 6 – May 2008
Published May 1, 2008
Emerging Spring From the Winter of Creative Destruction
- Understand the value customers seek, and excel.
- Big Progress is rarely received with overwhelming support from those around you.
- “Focus on customer needs” may sound worn and tired, but serving customer needs is the reason of existence for any business.
- Nurture your customer relationships. They are your lifesource.
- Commercialization of material and hard sciences appears to favor intrepreneurship over entrepreneurship.
- Aggression and arrogance are needed for progress, and can destroy progress. Exercise with caution.
About The Author
Tim J. Smith, PhD, is the founder and CEO of Wiglaf Pricing, an Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Economics at DePaul University, and the author of Pricing Done Right (Wiley 2016) and Pricing Strategy (Cengage 2012). At Wiglaf Pricing, Tim leads client engagements. Smith’s popular business book, Pricing Done Right: The Pricing Framework Proven Successful by the World’s Most Profitable Companies, was noted by Dennis Stone, CEO of Overhead Door Corp, as "Essential reading… While many books cover the concepts of pricing, Pricing Done Right goes the additional step of applying the concepts in the real world." Tim’s textbook, Pricing Strategy: Setting Price Levels, Managing Price Discounts, & Establishing Price Structures, has been described by independent reviewers as “the most comprehensive pricing strategy book” on the market. As well as serving as the Academic Advisor to the Professional Pricing Society’s Certified Pricing Professional program, Tim is a member of the American Marketing Association and American Physical Society. He holds a BS in Physics and Chemistry from Southern Methodist University, a BA in Mathematics from Southern Methodist University, a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Chicago, and an MBA with high honors in Strategy and Marketing from the University of Chicago GSB.