Top 6 – March 2009
Published March 1, 2009
The Leprechauns are Coming … Spring FORWARD.
- “Short term gains can destroy long-term goals. Evaluate the risks of price manipulation prior to execution.
- All is not gold at the end of the rainbow. Watch out for more rain.
- Salespeople must thrust forward into undefined territory, but make sure you have your boss’s support to see you through the uncertain terrain.
- The foolhardy rush in without concern for risk. The worrywart stays home to avoid risk. The successful entrepreneur measures twice and cuts once.
- Knowledge of customer need is your trump card in price negotiations.
- Know the risks to starting a business. Understand your limits and goals.
About The Author
Tim J. Smith, PhD, is the founder and CEO of Wiglaf Pricing, an Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Economics at DePaul University, and the author of Pricing Done Right (Wiley 2016) and Pricing Strategy (Cengage 2012). At Wiglaf Pricing, Tim leads client engagements. Smith’s popular business book, Pricing Done Right: The Pricing Framework Proven Successful by the World’s Most Profitable Companies, was noted by Dennis Stone, CEO of Overhead Door Corp, as "Essential reading… While many books cover the concepts of pricing, Pricing Done Right goes the additional step of applying the concepts in the real world." Tim’s textbook, Pricing Strategy: Setting Price Levels, Managing Price Discounts, & Establishing Price Structures, has been described by independent reviewers as “the most comprehensive pricing strategy book” on the market. As well as serving as the Academic Advisor to the Professional Pricing Society’s Certified Pricing Professional program, Tim is a member of the American Marketing Association and American Physical Society. He holds a BS in Physics and Chemistry from Southern Methodist University, a BA in Mathematics from Southern Methodist University, a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Chicago, and an MBA with high honors in Strategy and Marketing from the University of Chicago GSB.