Top 6 – March 2010
Published March 4, 2010
Ah, March, we all get to be Irish for a day. “May the dust of your carriage blind the eyes of your foe!”
- Choice is the key to succeeding in markets. Customer choice that is.
- Customers demand accountability. Address problems honestly and quickly. Witness: Toyota.
- Offering customers a variety of quality and price points better enables the firm to remain relevant to its customers throughout economic cycles.
- Look beyond the linear path for a product breakthrough. Witness: RIM & Apple.
- As the technological environment changes, so must the market strategy. Witness: Blockbuster.
- Price Menu: Even my local knows that one. Sláinte
About The Author
Tim J. Smith, PhD, is the founder and CEO of Wiglaf Pricing, an Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Economics at DePaul University, and the author of Pricing Done Right (Wiley 2016) and Pricing Strategy (Cengage 2012). At Wiglaf Pricing, Tim leads client engagements. Smith’s popular business book, Pricing Done Right: The Pricing Framework Proven Successful by the World’s Most Profitable Companies, was noted by Dennis Stone, CEO of Overhead Door Corp, as "Essential reading… While many books cover the concepts of pricing, Pricing Done Right goes the additional step of applying the concepts in the real world." Tim’s textbook, Pricing Strategy: Setting Price Levels, Managing Price Discounts, & Establishing Price Structures, has been described by independent reviewers as “the most comprehensive pricing strategy book” on the market. As well as serving as the Academic Advisor to the Professional Pricing Society’s Certified Pricing Professional program, Tim is a member of the American Marketing Association and American Physical Society. He holds a BS in Physics and Chemistry from Southern Methodist University, a BA in Mathematics from Southern Methodist University, a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Chicago, and an MBA with high honors in Strategy and Marketing from the University of Chicago GSB.