Top 6 – May 2011
Published May 17, 2011
Somehow “slanina” just isn’t as exciting as BACON!
- Products are bought because they meet a need.
- If you’re going to try the shotgun approach, make sure you know how to curtail your losses quickly, reload, and correct from the past mistake.
- “You eat eggs, you drink milk, you get a loaf of bread, and you get a pound of meat,… those are four staples of what Americans eat in their diet. All of those are based on grains.” C. Larry Pope.
- Math can’t tell the whole story, but it sure can get you off to the right track. 2. “Workers can share cars when prices of oil rises, … [but] you can’t share your food.” C. Larry Pope.
- Know the need you fill.
- “I am delighted to be here with you this evening, because after listening to George Bush all these years, I figured you needed to know what a real Texas accent sounds like.” Ann Richards, Governor of Texas from 1991 – 1995.
About The Author
Tim J. Smith, PhD, is the founder and CEO of Wiglaf Pricing, an Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Economics at DePaul University, and the author of Pricing Done Right (Wiley 2016) and Pricing Strategy (Cengage 2012). At Wiglaf Pricing, Tim leads client engagements. Smith’s popular business book, Pricing Done Right: The Pricing Framework Proven Successful by the World’s Most Profitable Companies, was noted by Dennis Stone, CEO of Overhead Door Corp, as "Essential reading… While many books cover the concepts of pricing, Pricing Done Right goes the additional step of applying the concepts in the real world." Tim’s textbook, Pricing Strategy: Setting Price Levels, Managing Price Discounts, & Establishing Price Structures, has been described by independent reviewers as “the most comprehensive pricing strategy book” on the market. As well as serving as the Academic Advisor to the Professional Pricing Society’s Certified Pricing Professional program, Tim is a member of the American Marketing Association and American Physical Society. He holds a BS in Physics and Chemistry from Southern Methodist University, a BA in Mathematics from Southern Methodist University, a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Chicago, and an MBA with high honors in Strategy and Marketing from the University of Chicago GSB.