Top 6 – October 2011
Published October 6, 2011
In America, we teach our kids how markets work at a very early age. It’s called Halloween.
- Pricing vs. Sales – “Can we all get along?” Rodney King, 1 May 1992.
- Arrogance is an STD (socially transmitted disorder) – very contagious and deadly.
- If you only talk to purchasing agents, you aren’t in sales. You’re a clerk.
- “You can’t fix stupid.” Ron White, 2006.
- If you want to sell value and capture a good price, then talk to the economic buyer. All else aren’t in a position to make a real tradeoff.
- Trick-or-Treat: Free candy if your visit my home office on October 31, limited to the first 100 salespeople.
About The Author
Tim J. Smith, PhD, is the founder and CEO of Wiglaf Pricing, an Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Economics at DePaul University, and the author of Pricing Done Right (Wiley 2016) and Pricing Strategy (Cengage 2012). At Wiglaf Pricing, Tim leads client engagements. Smith’s popular business book, Pricing Done Right: The Pricing Framework Proven Successful by the World’s Most Profitable Companies, was noted by Dennis Stone, CEO of Overhead Door Corp, as "Essential reading… While many books cover the concepts of pricing, Pricing Done Right goes the additional step of applying the concepts in the real world." Tim’s textbook, Pricing Strategy: Setting Price Levels, Managing Price Discounts, & Establishing Price Structures, has been described by independent reviewers as “the most comprehensive pricing strategy book” on the market. As well as serving as the Academic Advisor to the Professional Pricing Society’s Certified Pricing Professional program, Tim is a member of the American Marketing Association and American Physical Society. He holds a BS in Physics and Chemistry from Southern Methodist University, a BA in Mathematics from Southern Methodist University, a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Chicago, and an MBA with high honors in Strategy and Marketing from the University of Chicago GSB.