Top 6 – May 2012
Published May 4, 2012
“A lot of people think, if you do nothing, you will stay at zero. But the reality is, if you do nothing, you’ll be at a negative.” Ron Shaich, Founder and Chairman, Panera Bakery, 8 March 2011 in WSJ
- “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” Unknown
- “The history of the productive apparatus … is a history of revolutions. … [It] incessantly revolutionizes the economic structure from within, incessantly destroying the old one, incessantly creating a new one.” Joseph A Schumpeter on The Process of Creative Destruction (1942).
- “There’ll be time enough for counting, when the dealings done.” Kenny Rogers
- “The great material continuum … is the force that binds the universe together”, Nog, Deep Space 9.
- Either get in the game, sit on the bench, or spectate.
- Progress is risky, but the alternative more so.
About The Author
Tim J. Smith, PhD, is the founder and CEO of Wiglaf Pricing, an Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Economics at DePaul University, and the author of Pricing Done Right (Wiley 2016) and Pricing Strategy (Cengage 2012). At Wiglaf Pricing, Tim leads client engagements. Smith’s popular business book, Pricing Done Right: The Pricing Framework Proven Successful by the World’s Most Profitable Companies, was noted by Dennis Stone, CEO of Overhead Door Corp, as "Essential reading… While many books cover the concepts of pricing, Pricing Done Right goes the additional step of applying the concepts in the real world." Tim’s textbook, Pricing Strategy: Setting Price Levels, Managing Price Discounts, & Establishing Price Structures, has been described by independent reviewers as “the most comprehensive pricing strategy book” on the market. As well as serving as the Academic Advisor to the Professional Pricing Society’s Certified Pricing Professional program, Tim is a member of the American Marketing Association and American Physical Society. He holds a BS in Physics and Chemistry from Southern Methodist University, a BA in Mathematics from Southern Methodist University, a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Chicago, and an MBA with high honors in Strategy and Marketing from the University of Chicago GSB.