Top 6 – July 2012
Published July 2, 2012
“Taking a defensive position can, at best, only limit losses. And we need gains.” Peter Drucker, HBR, (1961).
- Core values drives performance. What do you value?
- “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” What reaction do you want from customers?
- Creative destruction happens. Which will you play: lead or catch-up.
- “A body at rest tends to stay at rest until affected by an outside force.” What force will you apply to drive action?
- “Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition.” How will you respond to ambush marketing?
- Strategic plays get played out and new plays must be invented. How will you play?
About The Author
Tim J. Smith, PhD, is the founder and CEO of Wiglaf Pricing, an Adjunct Professor of Marketing and Economics at DePaul University, and the author of Pricing Done Right (Wiley 2016) and Pricing Strategy (Cengage 2012). At Wiglaf Pricing, Tim leads client engagements. Smith’s popular business book, Pricing Done Right: The Pricing Framework Proven Successful by the World’s Most Profitable Companies, was noted by Dennis Stone, CEO of Overhead Door Corp, as "Essential reading… While many books cover the concepts of pricing, Pricing Done Right goes the additional step of applying the concepts in the real world." Tim’s textbook, Pricing Strategy: Setting Price Levels, Managing Price Discounts, & Establishing Price Structures, has been described by independent reviewers as “the most comprehensive pricing strategy book” on the market. As well as serving as the Academic Advisor to the Professional Pricing Society’s Certified Pricing Professional program, Tim is a member of the American Marketing Association and American Physical Society. He holds a BS in Physics and Chemistry from Southern Methodist University, a BA in Mathematics from Southern Methodist University, a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Chicago, and an MBA with high honors in Strategy and Marketing from the University of Chicago GSB.